For the second year in a row, Kansas football had a bye week in week one of college football. We did get a chance to look at all the other Big 12 teams. Please note there’s no disrespect to Kansas being No. 10 in our week one power poll. It’s simply because they didn’t play so I can’t accurately judge them. That being said, a loss or a poor showing this weekend will keep them in that spot.
Without further ado, here’s our first power poll of the season:
1) Oklahoma – The Sooners looked good on the offensive side of the ball and manhandled Louisiana Tech.
2) Baylor – Baylor was one of two top 25 teams to shutout their opponent in week one. And unlike Stanford, the Bears shutout a FBS team. So… props to Baylor. We’ll see how their defense translates in Big 12 play.
3) Texas – The Longhorns looked like the Longhorns of the past but it was against North Texas…
4) Kansas State – KSU was able to run the ball with ease over Stephen F. Austin in their opening game.
5) Oklahoma State – Unfortunately for the Cowboys, they got off to a disastrous start. Despite being down 17-0, they had a shot in the fourth quarter. They lost by six but I think they put up one of the two most impressive performances of the weekend. Losing to six to the defending national champions on a neutral field in your first game is something to be proud about. Watch out, Big 12.
6) TCU – I’m hesitant to put TCU here but they did win big over Samford.
7) West Virginia – The other impressive performance in the conference this weekend was West Virginia. Even though they lost, they gave Alabama a hell of a game. The OSU-FSU and ‘Bama-WVA games were highly entertaining.
8) Texas Tech – They squeaked by Central Arkansas. I’ve seen better from Tech.
9) Iowa State – An embarrassing loss for the conference as a Big 12 team loses to North Dakota State again. Kansas State was able to bounce back from it last year so we’ll see what the Cyclones can do in 2014.
10) Kansas – Like we said, Kansas didn’t play in week one so we’re not ranking them yet.