KU looks to remain undefeated against Texas Southern.
The Jayhawks are undefeated and coming off a very impressive performance in a win over South Dakota State. The Jayhawks rode the hot shooting of Sviataslov Mykhailiuk, who poured in 27 points on 10-17 shooting (5-7 from 3-pt). Lagareld Vick also had a nice night, chipping in with 20 points on an efficient 8-10 shooting.
About Texas Southern: The Tigers went to the NCAA Tournament last season as the SWAC Champions before falling to No. 1 seed and eventual champion North Carolina in the first round. This season, TSU loses three of their top four scorers from last season. The Tigers are in the midst of a non-conference gauntlet right now, as Kansas is the the second top-25 and third power-five opponent the Tigers will play in their first five games.
Game Info and Notes:
- Tuesday, November 21st, 2017 at 7:00 pm CT
- Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, Kan.
- ESPN3 or the WatchESPN app
- Kansas holds a 3-0 all-time record over Texas Southern
- Four Jayhawks are averaging double fgures in scoring with senior Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk leading the way at 19.7 points per game. Junior Lagerald Vick is next at 18.0 ppg.
- KU is 1-1 in the Champions Classic games played at the United Center
- Kansas has shot 60% or better in two games this season. Last season KU shot better than 60 percent only once.
- The Jayhawks are 3-0 for the first time since 2013-14
- Udoka Azubuike leads the NCAA in FG%, shooting the ball at 90% clip
- Devonte’ Graham is second in the Big 12 in assists at 9.3 APG, he he also averaged 9.7 PPG
Tigers to Watch
Domontrae Jefferson – 5’7″ sophomore, guard
The diminutive guard has sat out the last two games due to a suspension, and it is still unknown if he’ll suit up against KU, but if he does he’ll be one to watch if you’re a Jayhawk fan. Jefferson is averaging 21 PPG and is also shooting 50% from 3-PT land.
Donte Clark – 6’4″ senior, guard
If Jefferson is a no-go, Clark will be called upon to carry the load for the Tigers. The senior transfer from UMass is averaging a career-high 18 points, including a 20 point and five rebound performance against Syracuse last weekend.
Trayvon Reed – 7’2″ junior, center
Reed leads the Tigers in rebounding with 9.3 per game. Height wise, he matches up well with Azubuike, but he still giving up anywhere from 30-40 pounds on the KU center. Azubuike only pulled down two rebounds against South Dakota State on Saturday. It’ll be intriguing to see how he handles the size of Reed.
Kansas 85, Texas Southern 66
AUDIO PREVIEW (skip to 41-minute mark): LINK
This is just another tune-up for the Jayhawks. There is just too much fire power in the Jayhawks arsenal for the Tigers to keep up with, especially if Jefferson is held out yet again. Kansas has rolled over its previous two cupcakes (Tennessee State & South Dakota State), I don’t see that being any different on Tuesday night. I’ll go with the hot hand in Mykhailiuk to be leading the charge once again for the Jayhawks.